ARCHITECT OR BUILDER
Alexander Maxwell Muir
Directly across Waddington Alley from the Leiser Building is a two-storey brick store at 518 Yates Street that was built for Dr F. Hall on the site of the old wooden Albion Saloon. Dr Hall built several speculative buildings in Victoria including 1308 Government Street and 727-729 Yates Street. Designed by architect Alexander Maxwell Muir in 1899, this structure featured segmented arch openings, intricate brickwork and raised parapets. It was covered with stucco and was used by the Salvation Army for their outreach programs for many years. The building was restored, along with its neighbour to the west, 516 Yates, by the Canadian Hostelling Association in 1990.